Thursday 15 November 2012

iheart: motivational quotes

"The purpose of life is not to win. The purpose of life is to grow and share. When you come to look back on all that you have done in your life, you will get more satisfaction from the pleasure you have brought into other people's lives than you will from the times that you outdid and defeated them." –Rabbi Harold Kushner

I have a huge respect and affirming relationship with the Jewish faith and often turn to the various commentaries for inspiration, guidance and encourage or clarity on an issue. I find the words of many rabbis are clear, concise and often hit the nail on the head. Whether you are Jewish, Christian, Atheist, Humanist or any other inbetween you cannot deny the wisdom contained in these words from Rabbi Kushner. 

Harold Kushner, for those of you who are unfamiliar with his ponderings, is an American Rabbi of quite an age (got to be nearing 90 - is he still alive?) who is nestled somewhere in the progressive Judaism quarters of that grand religion. Okay so his creed is never going to be the focus of this post so I'll skip to the end. The point is with all his years of experience these words can scoop me up on the worst day and give me a hug on the best day. 

"The purpose of life is not to win". for me these were the words I was raised on and were drilled into me by my Mum from a young age. These words alone could have a negative effect of the demotivated and channel you towards a philosophy in life that nothing is worth having a go at. If however they were not followed up by "...to grow and to share".

the meaning behind this quote for me is a message and a challenge of 'how are you spending your time here and what is driving you to your goals? What are your motivations?'

My answer? Kushner reminds me of my core values. I sit up and take note. Smile at him and say - 'you're right, I'm here to share with others!'

So, what pleasure can I bring into someone else's life tomorrow?

First and foremost, my students, by delivering thought provoking lessons that encourage them to think and work things out for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment